For New Instructors
The hiring manager for your position will work with you to complete the required paperwork. As soon as you are in the system, you’ll receive your UFID number. You’ll need this number to set up email and retirement accounts.
Your department’s office manager will help you to sign up for the required training. Things can get pretty hectic, so use the list below to make certain that you don’t forget something. Your department (particularly in the health sciences) may require additional training.
Review the information located on UF’s Human Resources Welcome website. The sooner you can do this, the better. These details will help you to get acclimated.
As soon as you have received your UFID number, visit the Identity Services website to create your GatorLink account. You will need the GatorLink username and password to access most online resources.
- Set up email
- Connect your wireless devices to UF’s Eduroam service
- If you run into trouble with this, you can take your device to the UF Computing HelpDesk located on the first floor of the Hub
- You can also call 352.392.HELP (4357)
- Obtain Gator1 ID Card
- Identify your parking location with Campus Parking map
- Obtain Parking Pass from UF Transportation and Parking Services
- Find your classrooms with the UF Campus map
- Obtain keys (if needed) from department administrative staff
- Set up your VOIP phone voicemail
Human Resources (HR):
- “New Faculty Orientation” held in August the week prior to the start of classes
- Main Menu> My Self Service> Training and Development> myTraining
- Register and complete “FERPA Basics and FERPA for Faculty”
- Register and complete “Harassment Prevention”
- Register and complete “Compliance Training”
- Complete within the first 30 days of employment
- provide certificate of completion to appropriate department personnel
Create Your Syllabus
To facilitate clear communication about courses between students and faculty, the University of Florida requires departments and course instructors to make available for free for each course, a syllabus containing specific information about the structure of the course. Instructors also must submit copies of course syllabi to the departmental office to document compliance with this syllabus policy. Syllabi must be posted at least three days prior to the first day of classes.
- UF Syllabus policy check with your department for specific requirements
- Syllabus Template
- FDTE Syllabus Guide
- Sample Syllabi
- Term start and end dates, holidays and the final exam schedule.
- Examination Policies and Reading Days
- Grades and Grading Policies
- Attendance Policies
- Intercollegiate Athletics Committee: 3 things for faculty to know about student athletes in their class.
- Resources for students in distress:
Other Semester Preparation Resources
- Learning Management System (LMS): UF uses Canvas
- UFIT Training (UF Information Technology): Canvas and other technology training from the
- How to request an E-Learning Course
- You can request your official “Registrar” course site OR
- A non-registrar course sandbox or training site
- The site also contains instructions for adding a section to an existing e-Learning course site
- Course Request Page or call 352-392-4357 (Option 3)
- UF Computing Help Desk: call 352-392-4357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- UF Apps: Are available to your students
- Microsoft Office Suite, SPSS, Nvivo, R, StataSE, Tableau Desktop, among many others
- Library Resources: Course Reserves information
- Find your Library Subject Specialist
- Textbook Adoption Management IMPORTANT!
- Academic Integrity Guide: Dean Of Students Office, University of Florida
- UF Policies: Office of the Provost, University of Florida
- Undergraduate Catalog:
- FERPA and Confidentiality of Student Records (IMPORTANT!)
- Graduate Catalog
First Day of Class Preparation
- Visit your classroom(s):
- Test the computer: log in, open all files, access all software
- If you will be using your own laptop or mobile device, test out the connections and cables
- If you need help, contact Classroom Support (352) 392-6683
- Request a training session with Classroom Support prior to the first day
- Test the microphone (if using)
- Print out a roster of each class
- For smaller courses, print a Photo Roster from your Canvas Course site (located in the left menu)