Why is assessment important?
We tend to think of assessment as a mechanism for determining student grades. Since grades should be a measure of learning, this makes sense. However, assessment can also:
- Track student progress towards a learning goal (formative assessment)
- Help shape teaching strategies and course design
- Determine whether instruction is effective
A Practical Guide to Assessment
Dr. Tim Brophy, Director of Institutional Assessment at the University of Florida, has developed a guide to help faculty get the most out of their assessments. Topics covered in this comprehensive resource include:
- Module 1: Introduction to Assessment
- Module 2: Assessment and Rubric Design
- Module 3: Writing Items for Quizzes and Tests
- Module 4: Test Statistics and Analysis
- Module 5: Longitudinal Assessment of Student Learning
- Module 6: Consensus-Based Approaches
- Module 7: Navigating the UF Assessment System
Dr. Brophy leads the Passport to Great Teaching-Creative Assessment Faculty Development Learning Community. The Creative Assessment Learning Community is an ongoing project of the University of Florida Office of Teaching Excellence.
- Dr. Tim Brophy